National Panchayati Raj Day: April 24
Every year, the National Panchayati Raj Day is celebrated on April 24. The first National Panchayati Raj day was declared by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on April 24, 2010. It is celebrated on April 24 as the Panchayati Raj System of India came into effect on April 24, 1993.
National Panchayati Raj Day:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the SVAMITVA Scheme on National Panchayati Raj Day, 2020.
- This year, more than 74,000 Panchayats are to participate in National Panchayati Raj Awards, 2021. This is 28% higher than the National Panchayati Raj Awards, 2020.
- There are more than 2.6 lakh Panchayats in the country.
- The Deen Dayal Upadhyay Pachayat Sashaktikaran Puraskar is awarded on National Panchayati Raj Day.
- Also, the Nanaji Deshmukh Rashtriya Gaurav Sabha Puraskar is awarded to Gram Sabha.
- Apart from these awards, Child friendly Gram Panchayat award and E-Panchayat award are also presented on this day
Panchayati Raj System:
The Panchayati Raj Act came into effect on April 24, 1993 and thus, the National Panchayati Raj Day is celebrated on April 24. It was introduced through the 73rd Constitutional amendment.
The establishment of Panchayati Raj System in the country was recommended by Balwant Rai Committee.
Features of 74th Amendment Act:
- Every state shall constitute a Nagar Panchayat, Municipal Corporation and Municipal Council.
- All the seats in the municipality shall be filled by persons chosen from direct elections.
- A ward Committee shall be constituted.
- The seats in the local bodies shall be reserved for the Scheduled Tribes and Scheduled Castes.
- Establishment of Independent Election Commission in each state.
- Establishment of Financial Commission in each state.