The Assam Public Service commission (APSC) is an Indian government agency headquartered at Jawahar Nagar, Khanapara in Guwahati and functions through its own secretariat. Shri Pallab Bhattacharyya, IPS (Retd.) is its current Chairman.[needs update]
Established on 1 April 1937 as Public Service Commission, in accordance with the provision of the Govt. of India Act, 1935.
As mentioned in Article 320, Part XIV of the Constitution of India, the Commission shall be consulted on all matters relating to recruitment to civil services and posts in state of Assam .The Assam Public Service Commission has to discharge the duties and functions as specified in its Regulations, the prime duties and functions of the Commission are:
1. To recommend candidates for Direct Recruitment to the various services of the State Government.
2. To advise the Government on the principles to be followed to assess the suitability of the officers for promotion.
3. To advise the Govt. on all disciplinary matters affecting the person serving under the Government within the purview of the Commission;
4. To advise the Government on all matters relating to framing of Recruitment Rules/Draft Service Rules of different departments of the Government;
5. To advise the Government relating to the method of recruitment to Civil Services;
6. To advise the Government on matters relating to protection and fixation of pay, in respect of Government servants, who were initially appointed as per recommendation of the Commission;
7. To conduct Departmental examinations for Government services.